A week of aggravation and banging my head against a wall, and now it’s running beautifully.
And doesn’t it look awesome with the Wordpress 2016 theme? I don’t know why I didn’t upgrade earlier: It fixed the issues I had with the last one–namely, the lack of color in the links, and putting the sidebar on the left instead of the right! (Come on, we’re English-based, and read from left to right. The sidebar belongs on the right because it’s less important and needs to be read last!) It’s also even more mobile-ready than the last one, even puts the sidebar at the bottom instead of putting it into an icon people never click on.
It was that danged firewall in the WordFence security plugin, something they added to WordFence in the past several months. It doesn’t play well with my site, though the rest of the plugin works fine.
I replaced the core WordPress files with brand-new ones from the new version 4.6, and re-installed WordFence with brand-new files as well, but then forgot to switch off the danged firewall, which automatically goes into “Learning Mode.” And then by morning, the danged firewall was screwing it all up again.
But I re-installed WordFence and then immediately clicked off the danged firewall this time.
Maybe I’ll keep this site after all.