Finally, my web host has finished whatever they were doing to protect us against botnet attacks, and my blog is back to normal functioning (I hope)!
But it was down for about a week, a long, frustrating week as my blog would go up and down, up and down. I often had to turn off the redirect sending readers here from my old blog.
During uptimes, I installed better security and made adjustments, since you can’t rely on your host to protect you completely, especially on a free server.
I see from my security files that just in the last 24 hours, some bot from the Ukraine continuously tried to get into my blog’s dashboard for malicious purposes. Apparently it would try, Wordfence would block it for a short time, then it would come back and try again.
But because of my security fixes, it could not come in. 😀 And now, because of Wordfence, I’ve blocked it permanently from trying again.
I have seen my stalkers trying to get in as well. They are aware of this new blog, and have done searches for it which led them to my old blog, but not the new one.
I’ve seen them go to my old blog, but because the redirect for mobile phones was turned on, they got redirected here–and couldn’t get in.
I saw them try six times one evening to get in, when the mobile redirect was on, but they failed!
All they can ever see is the old blog, which is rarely updated now. Now that my blog is back up and more stable again, the mobile redirect is back up, so they can’t get to the old or new blogs at all.
When the redirect is up, the only trace I can see of them is in Blogger’s stat page, when an Android browser is accompanied by a search term which I can recognize as theirs. They do not show up in any other hit count trackers, because they are blocked.
I haven’t seen them back in a little more than a week, even though they had a long-established routine of checking in at least once a week, often twice or more–and several times a day when they discovered me trying to block them on my old blog a couple of months ago.
Strange how they won’t say a word to me otherwise, but will express their displeasure with me through their unwanted blog hits…..
Must be because they know I’ve been to the police about them already because of the e-mail they sent me, so they know I’m capable of doing so again.
This has been extremely helpful in restoring my broken spirit. For almost a year I have feared what they may be planning next:
- Will I get served with a lawsuit for telling the truth?
- Will they send me another nasty message, threaten me, or assault me as Richard had once almost done to the person who evicted them?
- Will they come to my church again on purpose to upset me and rub my nose in their lack of remorse for hurting and abusing me?
But none of this has happened. No lawsuit. No more nasty messages. No assaults. I haven’t even seen them at church since last August. Their presence on my blog has been a constant irritant, but now I have successfully blocked them.
They are beginning to disappear from my life, even on the edges (ie, checking my blog), since I switched to WordPress.org and blocked them. They are also beginning to disappear from my thoughts. Not completely, but it is a huge step forward.
There is still the risk of seeing them more often eventually at church, if one of our parishes fails financially and our separate congregations begin blending. I dearly hope that does not happen.
But for now, our two parishes remain open, and they are not directly in my life (just occasionally seen on the street). My spirit is moving toward peace, toward calm.
I am working to accept that Richard was never the friend or the person he claimed to be, or he would never have let things get this way, that he must have been conning and using me.
I have become the webmaster for my church, and that has predominated my thoughts (and time) lately as I struggle to understand the content management system it uses.
My son just bought a couple of adorable spice finches who are very attached to each other.
Life is slowly but surely moving on.